SPRING CLEAN YOUR EATING HABITS
Forget about cleaning out your closets and scrubbing floors this season – it’s time to clean up your eating habits! This past winter, most people ate heavier foods with larger portions and ended up gaining unwanted pounds. To get yourself back on track to healthier eating, here’s a five-step plan to help get you started:
1. Make sure your portions stay real. Doing this will help counteract the mindless munching you’ve probably been doing during the chilly winter months. One tip is to use a smaller plate with every meal. Less space on your plate means automatic portion control!
2. Do a little Spring cleaning – in your refrigerator! Go through everything in your fridge and toss out any processed foods, sugary snacks and other high calorie items; then replace them with bowls of fresh fruit, whole grain items, pre-cut veggies, etc. The idea is that you’ll eat healthier if there are only healthy foods available.
3. Put down that salt and sugar. White sugar is extremely unhealthy and is linked to diabetes, decreased immune response and even some forms of cancer. Eating too much table salt increases your risk of heart disease. Use modest amounts of organic cane sugar instead and sprinkle sea salt on your food sparingly.
4. Add a little culture into your diet: live cultures that is! Probiotics help keep your digestive system running smoothly, so be sure to add a yogurt or a yogurt drink daily. Skip using supplements and opt to get your probiotics from food sources since probiotics that are present in food is better used by the body.
5. It’s time to rethink what you drink. Wine, coffee and diet soda dehydrate your body because those drinks act as a diuretic. Start drinking more water! You can add orange, lemon, lime or cucumber slices for a hint of flavor. Water helps you get hydrated, controls your appetite and increases your metabolism.
The arrival of Spring is the chance to give your body what it really craves – healthy delicious food that will heal it from the inside out. So, don’t delay … start using this five-step plan today to get yourself on the road to health and wellness!